|Abstract (English)|| |
During the centuries of Venetian rule in Dalmatia, the Church was tightly connected with the major structures of the so called »divided society«, especially with the numerous pre-modern lay, class and communal (municipal) institutions. Short periods of, so called, the first Austrian administration (1797-1806) and the French rule (1806-1814) revealed unreadiness of the »societies« and the Church in Dalmatia to be more radically modernized. Position of the Church
towards lay societies and the state significantly changed only with the implementation of the bull Locum Beati Petri that had been issued by pope Leo XII in 1828. Namely, after the years of Habsburg political pressure to the Holy See the result was an ecclesiastical reorganization, which was followed by termination of many bishoprics on the Eastern Adriatic coast. This process was accompanied with extensive efforts of central Austrian government regarding the centralization of administrative and juridical institutions, taxations, education system, as well as concerning secularization of the ecclesiastical and religious resources in order to
modernize state institutions and their efficiency. In spite its autocratic character, together with its limited possibilities and social limitations, Habsburg rule in Dalmatia managed to reform
administration and up to the mid-nineteenth century create efficient administrative and juridical structure that had some elements of a modern state. During this process central government mostly used Church and clergy because they were the most educated part of the local population. In the appendix of the article author delivers text of the final report regarding the implementation of the bull Locum Beati Petri, written by the Joseph Walland, archbishop of Gorica, and Anton Alois Wolf, bishop of Ljubljana, which was addressed to the Dalmatian
governor baron Francis Tomašić.